We explored the Mango Mania festival at Lulu Hypermarket this week and were stunned by the sheer variety of it. It got us thinking that there’s quite likely a lot more to mangoes than we think. So, we did some digging and found out these fun facts:
- Mangoes are an ancient fruit which can be traced back over 4000 years.
- There are over 500 different varieties of mangoes: each in different shapes, sizes and levels of sweetness.
- Mangoes are the national fruit of three countries: India, Pakistan and the Philippines.
- Mango trees can grow to be 100 ft tall!
- Most mango trees take 4 to 6 years to bear fruit, but they can also continue to bear fruit for 300 years.
- India is the largest producer of mangoes.
- India’s popular Paisley Pattern is based on the shape of mangoes!
What’s a fun fact that you know about mangoes?