Lulu Hypermarket’s Mango Mania festival is in full swing. We’ve been getting creative in the kitchen cooking up salads, desserts and more, but we all know a staple at many dining tables is a good mango pickle. Here’s our favourite recipe:
- 1 kg green, unripe mangoes
- ¼ cup fenugreek seeds
- ¼ cup fennel seeds
- ¼ cup mustard seeds
- ¼ cup nigella seeds
- 3 tbsps turmeric powder
- ¼ cup red chilli powder
- 3 cups mustard oil
- Lightly roast the spices on a pan to get rid of any moisture. Roast the nigella and fennel seeds separately and set aside.
- Grind the first spice mix in a dry grinder and set aside.
- Wash the mangoes well and slice them into 1 ½ inch pieces with the skin intact. You may discard the seeds.
- Place the diced mango in a large bowl. Add all the spices, including the powders and salt to taste.
- Mix well so all the mangoes are evenly coated and the flavours well-distributed.
- Now add half a cup of mustard oil. Toss the mixture and then spoon it into clean and dry glass jars. Place the lid on tightly.
- For the next 5 days, place the pickle jars in the sunlight during the day, but keep them indoors to cool at night. Remember to open the jar and stir well after leaving them in the sun on each day.
- On the final day, evenly distribute the remainder of the mustard oil and pour it into each jar.
- Allow the pickle to rest, indoors and in the tightly sealed jars for an additional three to four days before consuming.